Hydraulic models are an essential tool in understanding wastewater collection system behavior for system design, operations, assessment of performance, development of rehabilitation programs, support of permit applications, and demonstration of regulatory compliance.
Wastewater Collection System Modeling and Design will guide you through the model-building process and the practical application of models to address real-world challenges. Each topic presented is reinforced by examples that clearly demonstrate how models are used in applications such as designing new systems, detecting and correcting inefficiencies in existing systems, and minimizing the costs of pumping.
The book was developed for use by designers, managers, regulators, and students and focuses on linking engineering theory to practical modeling applications. Each chapter concludes with exercises that can be completed by professionals for continuing education credits and by students to reinforce the material. The book brings together the experiences of an international team of experts from both academia and consulting and includes topics such as:
- Fundamentals of gravity and pressure flow and pumping
- Consideration of solid transport and tractive forces
- Planning and constructing system models
- Determining sanitary loads using unit factors, load patterns, and peaking factors
- Modeling wet weather flows in sanitary and combined sewers
- Flow measurement in existing systems
- Model calibration
- Combined and sanitary sewer overflows
- Using models in the design of new sewers and the rehabilitation of existing systems
- Design and operation of force mains and pump stations
- Design of low-pressure sewer systems
- Using GIS in sewer models
- The use of models to address regulatory issues in the United States, Canada, and the European Union
About the Software Included
Each book within the Water Modeling Collection from the Bentley Institute Press includes academic-licensed versions of the professional software covered.
SewerCAD provides a complete program for wastewater collection system design and analysis. The software handles sanitary and wet weather loads, gravity and pressure hydraulics, and analysis of multiple scenarios.